Re: motivations

Some years ago I rebound a book for a friend, a travelogue of Malta written
in the 1700's. The book was nothing special, but the endpapers were filled
with pencil sketches of women in Empire dresses, old sailing ships, people
in the clothes of around 1800. There was this strange feeling of being
connected to some unknown reader of this very book two hundred years ago.