Re: Book Quotes

Some favorite book quotes:

Books are to be tasted, other to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed

and digested: ...         (BACON, "Essay: Of Studies")

When I am dead, I hope it will be said:
"His sins were scarlet, but his books were read."
(HILIAIRE BELLOC, "On His Books")

Blessing upon Cadmus, the Phoenicians, or whoever it was that invented
books.
(CARLYLE, "Letter to R. Mitchell")

There is no frigate like a book
    To take us lands away,
Nor any courser like a page
    Of prancing poetry.
(EMILY DICKINSON, "Poems, I, 99")

To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme.  No great and
enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many there be
that tried it.
(HERMAN MELVILLE, "Moby Dick")

A good book is the precious life-blood of a master-spirit, embalmed and
treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life.   (MILTON,
"Areopagitica")

Of making books there is no end.   (O.T., "Ecclesiastes, XII, 12")

Camerado, this is no book,
Who touches this, touches a man, ...  (WALT WHITMAN, "So Long")

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.  Books are well
written or badly written. That is all.    (OSCAR WILDE, "The Picture of
Dorian Gray")

Give a man a pipe he can smoke,
    Give a man a book he can read:
And his home is bright with a calm delight,
    Though his room be poor indeed.
(JAMES THOMSON, "Sunday Up the River")

Verily, when the day of judgement comes, we shall not be asked what we
have read, but what we have done.   (THOMAS KEMPIS, "Imitation of
Christ")

Jim Trent, lover of books.