Re: Book Quotes

Here are my favorite 15 quotes about books, chosen from a list probably 10
times this size:

She herself was a victim of that lust for books which rages in the breast like
a demon, and which cannot be stilled save by the frequent and plentiful
acquisition of books.  This passion is more common, and more powerful, than
most people suppose.  Book lovers are thought by unbookish people to be gentle
and unworldly, and perhaps a few of them are so.  But there are others who
will lie and scheme and steal to get books as wildly and unconscionably as the
dope-taker in pursuit of his drug.  They may not want to read the books
immediately, or at all; they want them to possess, to range on their shelves,
to have at command.  They want books as a Turk is thought to want concubines -
not to be hastily deflowered, but to be kept at their master's call, and
enjoyed more often in thought than in reality. - from Tempest-Tost, by
Robertson Davies

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without
breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your
face . . .  It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get
both provocation and privacy. -- Edward P. Morgan

"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve
ounces of paper and ink and glue -- you sell him a whole new life. Love and
friendship and humour and ships at sea by night -- there's all heaven and
earth in a book, a real book I mean." ......Chistopher Morley, Parnassus on
Wheels, 1917.

Never judge a book by its movie.  (J.W. Eagan)

If I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
clothes. (Erasmus)

"The only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which
have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet gone
ourselves."   (E.M. Forster)

People say that life is the thing but I prefer reading.  (L.P. Smith)

Littera scripta manet. Volat irrevocabili verbum. The written word  remains.
The spoken word takes wing and cannot be recalled. -- Horace

A home without books is like a house without windows.  (H. W. Beecher)

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. - Chinese proverb

A book is a mirror; if an ass peers in to it, you can't expect an apostle to
peer out. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Reading books in one's youth is like looking at the moon through a crevice;
reading books in middle age is like looking at the moon in one's courtyard;
and reading books in old age is like looking at the moon on an open terrace.
This is because the depth of benefits of reading varies in proportion to the
depth of one's own experience. - Chang Ch'ao

The printing press is either the greatest blessing or the greatest curse of
modern times, sometimes one forgets which it is. -- J. M. Barrie

This will never be a civilized country until we expend more money for books
than we do for chewing gum. -- Elbert Hubbard

There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well
written or badly written. That is all. -- Oscar Wilde

Another lover of books,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida

Callibeth@aol.com