Re: motivations

The Brancacci Chapel in Florence, as a student, in February 1964. My
background had been sciences and history (ancient), and though I'd known about
the pieces
casually, I hadn't realized they were all there together in one relatively
small space nor precisely what a fresco meant.  I walked into the church at
about 6am on an early morning
walk to sit in on Mass.  Before I got to the assembly I turned and saw
the frescoes, resplendent.  I knelt at the prei-dieu transfixed for the next
hour.  Much else in Florence had that  effect that year--two and a half years
before
the flood-- such as Michaelangelo's David, the power of which the many copies
one sees everywhere had not prepared me.  It took my breath away.

Ann Alaia Woods AIMIA Art Works
198 Walhalla Rd. Columbus, OH 43202-1442
614/261-6268 voice 614/261-6456 FAX