documentation...?

I know this may be a complicated question, but thought I would throw it out
there....

While there is a standard, formal documentation process for prints, what is
the protocol for documenting editioned book works? I am familiar with the
format for a colophon, but what if the work is sculptural, or if adding a
colophon wouldn't be appropriate for other structural or visual reasons?

Any thoughts, or any leads on a reference book that addresses this?

Thanks -
Roberta
paper@oregontrail.net