Re: documentation...?

MARC cataloging records. These define the structure of or better put are
derived from the old card catalog cards in libraries. It is a standard
designed to describe books, but not neccessarily designed for artists
books though liberal note fields allow you to do a good job.

You can find out more information on the fields and structure at the
Library of Congress site, <http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/>.

While this may not be quite what you are looking for, it could be a start.
To the best of my knowledge there is no agreed upon "standard" for
describing works, at least not based on exhibition catalogs.

p.

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey