Re: Illustrator

Hi Linda,

I think I understand your viewpoint -- I've wholly converted my (photo)
artwork to a digital process, but I do disagree about the appreciation
for high quality skill and craft disappearing. I've been closely
connected to several graphic design firms through my wife. In their fast
paced world, the computer is an absolute necessity, but quality is not a
casualty of this reality. Instead it allows even the computer illiterate
to compete.

Let me explain. If your work is highly skilled pen and ink illustration,
calligraphy, or some other traditional skill you may use a flatbed
scanner (or a service bureau with the same) to digitize your work. Many
artists have taken this route. You're not a talented hand, your a
talented artist...someone who uses ideas and forms to express your ideas
in tangible ways.

As to book arts being (commercially) viable, I'd guess it is not. This
isn't exclusively true with books, but with most art forms. You probably
would have to create a bigger, inclusive business that managed to create
different "profit centers"...paper making, workshops, bindery
work-on-demand, wedding invitations, wedding albums, etc. to make ends
meet. That's my take on the state of the (book) arts. I make books
because it demands so many skills and allows a level of creative
expression only surpassed by film or video...other great narrative
devices. The "market" is so small for book art, you have to be flexible
to find other $$$.

-my two cents

Darryl