Re: Unique Books?

I'm going to throw the classic definition on to the bandwaggon:

Unique is, especially here in the Art scene in the States a bit widely
overused.
Still - unique means 1 (ONE) copy, notwithstanding the fact if the book was
actually all handdone (e.g. kalligraphed,painted, original artwork) or
printed.

If Artist like to retain a second copy ( doesn't mater if exact identical or
slight different) they should mark it as Artist Copy or Epreuve artist or
whatever and state in the respective colophons,
Limitation 1 copy and 1 EA (Epreuve Artiste).

We, in the Trade dealing with Artist Books and related items, encounter
one's in a while a"unique" copy and sure a short while after another copy
pop's up on the market. The problem is, that as a dealer you betray your
client's trust. As you told him on the base of your Knowledge and Experience
that this is INDEED a UNIQUE copy.
And than the artist suddenly pops other copy/ies on the market.
It makes us look lile fools. What I"ve done - than asked by the client to
the fact that he heard about a second copy (And let's get not fuzzy here -
if I sold a unique copy of a book for even just 20 $ to a client, or 200
etc. he spend his money for a specific item) - if a second copy turns up -
offered to buy the copy back from my client at full price,
return it to the artist for a refund of our money and we drop the artist
from our list of clients. AS his /her behavior is highly unethical and and
in mislabeling his/her work it is simple fact fraud.
The artist itself can still be a wonderful person, but dealings with him/her
cannot be accepted as they taint the trade and one's reputation.As
insignificant that may be to some - it is the base we all make our living
on.

charles mohr / L.A. Book Arts,Inc.