Re: Fw: you suck

--------------6EE0CC8414FF432787EFEF49

When I was a wee beginning book binder studying with Joan Flasch I wanted to
make an edition of books that would be bound in leather.  Joan very sensibly
recommended that I try using Ultrasuede instead since I didn't know nada about
leather and as it turned out, the Ultrasuede was excellent.  (It's made out of
rubber and comes in lots of colors.)  You should spray the glue side with
pastel fixitive to seal it so the glue doesn't come through.  I'm actually a
big fan of leather for binding but Ultrasuede doesn't scuff, needs only
minimal paring if any, and allows you to get the suede look (real suede
wouldn't be very stain resistant, either.)  Audrey Niffenegger

Peter Verheyen wrote:

> As one who binds books using leather and vellum of various sorts I'm not
> going to get drawn into an argument about the ethics of using skins or
> whether book people are among the "gentlest' of people. Why do I use these
> materials. Well, I enjoy the look and feel of them, the textures, and
> their workability, much like I enjoy wearing nice, comfortable and well
> made leather shoes and my jacket. At the same time I also deeply admire
> Jean de Gonet's bindings using industrial rubbers and other materials.
>
> So instead of arguing about something which will be deeply divisive and
> ultimately lead nowhere, let's talk about using some of these alternative
> materials.
>
> What are they, what's the best way to use them, advantages, disadvantages,
> headaches... There are some great alternative, read non-traditional
> materials out there. Many of them are also a pain to work with, WELL, for
> varying reasons such as adhesives not working, poor quality... Remember,
> in our book work we must all strive for the HIGHEST quality in
> workmanship. Many of these materials can't be worked traditionally, at
> least not well, and in my readings I have yet find a text which deals with
> working these materials clearly. In most cases it's just take this piece
> of plastic, work like cloth... Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't.
>
> So, any takers, and let's keep this civil and objective.
>
> p.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
> mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey

--------------6EE0CC8414FF432787EFEF49

begin:vcard
n:Niffenegger;Audrey
tel;work:Columbia College Center for Book and Paper
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:aniffenegger@popmail.colum.edu
x-mozilla-cpt:;0