Alternative Materials (formerly that other title...)

  Have any of you explored tyvek as a binding material?  I know it has
promise as a repair material, but I am loathe to use it simply because
it is too new for its aging properties to be certain.  Since it seems to
be the principal insulator for new houses (Lord, but these faux chateau
do go up quickly) books may be the less urgent casualty in fifty years
if tyvek turns out to off gas something deadly when its chemistry goes
awry.  I have my eye on it, though, and would appreciate commentary from
those who have explored its mysteries.
 Dorothy Africa