Re: Museum Typography

I've noticed with interest the labels used by the Archive Grafik gallery here
in Kansas City. The gallery shares its space with a letterpress studio (Hammer
Press....no relationship to the presses of Carolyn & Victor) where the labels
are hand set and printed. The typography is conservative, clean, & tasteful
but they use whatever stock they have on hand. December's show--a Hungarian
dissident poster artist--was printed on quadrille paper(blue-line graph paper,
4 lines/inch.....this was more like 5/inch) and laminated to mount-board. This
worked well because the labels tied in with the artist's work without
distracting my focus from the art......

The labels @ the Science and Industry Museum(is that the correct name?), in
Chicago, i remember as working well.....though they've probably been replaced;
that was years ago. They were set in Eusibius roman, a Ludlow font designed by
Bob Middleton in the 20's....It seemed to work because it was consistent with
the building's Classic architechure and tended to receed into the background
so that it didn't compete for my attention.

I like the way some museums paint or silkscreen, directly on the wall,
passages of text that annotate the subject of the show (if i seem to be
getting off subject try to think of these as wall books). I think the Nelson-
Atkins here in KC does a particularly good job of it. About ten years ago they
did a show of late 17th century Italian paintings. The museum's exhibit
designer wanted each bit of wall text to be headlined with the artist's name
in the script fashion of that time and place. Even though I was glad to have
the opportunity to do those headlines, i haven't been asked to do it again and
i suspect the designer(who did a first rate job BTW) was unaware of how
expensive it is to letter 9 long Italian names and the exhibit title so that
these can be silkscreen printed at 4'to 6' x 1' on a wall.

....cg

In a message dated 2/6/99 7:37:55 AM Central Standard Time, ptw1@is6.nyu.edu