Tabellae Ansata and _Woof_

I enjoyed the magazine. It is geared toward crafty more than traditional or
fine binding, although there are instructions for sewing onto tapes in this
first issue. It also arrived well within the January '99 promised date, a feat
that is not always accomplished by fledgling publications.

I believe the spelling for the website (still under construction) is
<http://www.tabellaeansata.com/>  with an *e* in the middle of the two words.

Most exciting to me was Ms. LaPlantz's introduction of _Woof_ by Madalyn
Eastus, 1998, Harry N. Abrams Publisher <www.abramsbooks.com>, $18.95 (US);
ISBN 0-8109-3990-8. This book is TOO cool! It is a spiral hard-bound series of
26 die-cut images- 13 pages front and back- in which the artist has woven
(hence the title *woof*) various shaped and brightly colored papers to craft
7-inch square designs derived from quilts, knitting and beading patterns,
carpets, batik, and other folk art from diverse cultures. There is no text.
There is no glue. Ms. Eastus masterfully uses slitting, tucking, folding,
intertwining, (insert creative verb here) to hold the card geometrics
together.

A book is the perfect and indeed the only vehicle for this art. Die-cut shapes
reveal colors from patterns one and two pages prior to or following each page
to complete the designs. You really need to see this to understand what I
mean. I love books that are created because no other artistic expression will
suffice; the structure is integral to the art. Many artists books I see are
merely a collection of pieces that could just as easily have been framed and
hung on a wall and the book form really has nothing to do with the art, aside
from being a method to display it.

Off my soapbox now, I would enjoy a discussion of other artworks which
couldn't exist other than as books.

Beth Weiss
Minneapolis