Re: "Digital Dark Age"

To quote Mr Fletcher: "Hogwash."

This past weekend I spent several hours (six?) copying eleven years' worth
of backup files of past CBBAG Newsletter articles, photos, diagrams,
database files (membership and suppliers lists), etc, from 3.5" floppies
onto a large hard drive prior to having them archived onto a CD-ROM.
Unfortunately, it will be an incomplete archive as two of the floppies
would not mount, one contains a file compressed in a format that my current
utilities can't expand, and two contain a file compressed and segmented
(too large to fit on a single floppy) by another utility I no longer have.

I will be doing an internet search for these older utilities and am fairly
confident I'll be able to get at the data but it was a bit of a shock to me
to find files less than ten years old which are difficult -- if not
impossible -- to read. Technology is changing too rapidly to guarantee
future compatibility.

Cheers,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>

The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild website:
<http://www.cbbag.ca>