Re: "Digital Dark Age"

>>This is actually a great comparison to the CD-ROM. The LP was the winner
as
>>the analog storage medium and thank goodness people trusted it to store
all
>>that music from the 20's and 70's that we would have lost otherwise.
>
>Actually much of the music from the 20s was stored on the big thick 70rpm
>discs. I don't think that the nice modern Technics turntable will do the
job.

78 rpm -- one side can play one song.  LP stands for "long play", and was
recorded at 33 1/3 rpm.

I have an old turntable that can play 33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm.  Most modern
turntables (when you can get them -- they've become very difficult to find
in my area) can only play 33 1/3.

Of course, I also have a turntable that only plays 78s, but that's a
different matter.

As noted, LPs were not "winners", at least not for the reasons given above,
and they're becoming long term losers because the playback equipment is
becoming more difficult to acquire.

Lyle H. Gray
lyle @ quodata . com                            inceptum perage