Re: "Digital Dark Age"

CDs will never be a preservation format. With digital technologies the
medium itself will be irrelevant and data will have to be migrated
regularily. Skip a generation and it could be history... As to Dorothy's
point, she is absolutely right. Digital information can be tampered with,
and to some extent most certainly is, even if not maliciously. Save a file
then open, change, resave... I can do that with CDs too, copy to HD,
alter, burn new CD. If it's on a server, even easier. Sure I can set
attributes to read only... but all that can be circumvented. Fact is data
can be changed... So what does that do to statements of edition, state,
variant... Then the technology moves on. Unless we've migrated we end up
with a nice collection of coasters. That's what I do with all the AOL CDs
I get in the mail...

p.

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com