Re: "Digital Dark Age"

re: your opinion on the durability of CDROMs:  I beg to differ. I mean no =
offense, but even CDs are rapidly becoming outdated.  Computers are being =
sold now that have DVD drives. DVDs hold more information than CDs, and =
rapidly replacing them as the winner in the " information storage wars" =
where bigger always seems to be better.  I think that 5 years from now, =
when the DVD's replacement will be seen, CDROMs will have gone the way of =
the 5 1/4" floppy.  In a very few years, your beloved CDROM will be, =
unfortunately, just as obsolete.

Personally, I think the biggest problem is that technology is moving too =
quickly for our culture to catch up.  No matter what the storage medium, =
be it paper, microfilm, CD or DVD, there will always be problems archiving =
information.  We have not yet found the "perfect" storage medium, although =
I think that digital storage mediums, because of the amount of material =
they can archive will always have an important place. The key point is not =
to become too tied down to one format.

Laura Boston
Penrose Memorial Library
Whitman College
Walla Walla, WA  99362

>>> DT Fletcher <FletcherOR@AOL.COM> 02/10 4:35 AM >>>
In a message dated 2/10/99 3:25:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,