book exposure

Hi Everyone. I am a college student studying writing and photography and I
have recenty become very interested in printing and bookbinding. So I
joined this listserve wanting to connect with people that were "into it."
what I have found is a wealth of interest, information and resources. My
question is regarding why I had never heard of book arts before. Do you
think that the community of those who read/appreciate book art are
confined to academics and other book artists? Can you suggest ways to
bring this all into the mainstream community? I have always felt that art
should not be confined to museums and private collections of wealthy
people. Where are your books shown? what do you do with them? publish
them? What publishers? What is the market like for private shows? is it on
the rise? a dying art?
just curious
thanks
Emily Wick