Re: transmission (was "Digital Dark Age")

Thank you, Dorothy.

A note might be added about who saves, too.  Actually,
what exists is influenced by who are the pack rats or archivists and what
their interests are.

As the curator of an historical collection I am often puzzled by
the fact that we have materials about one person, but about another
there is little to nothing depending on the individual or family's
priorities.  Also playing into the scenerio would be disasters, known or
unknown --
house fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, etc.
Lots of reasons why materials might not continue to exist.  I hope we
all realize that what we have of earlier days is not complete just as our
*current* history will not be complete.   However, that stored only on
computer generated media, I think, will be less complete than most.  Partly
because most of those most knowledgeable about computers are not pack rats.

Jane Brown
brownjm@musc.edu

--On FriTu, Feb41222199997 8:37 AM -0500 "Dorothy Africa"