Re: "Digital Dark Age"

In a message dated 2/12/99 4:37:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, aldus@ANGREK.COM
writes:

<< Technologies DO disappear and to make the assumption that they won't is to
 be blind to the fundamental dynamics of human culture and history. To make
 broad, sweeping pronouncements about how "the open architecture of the IBM
 clone - PC " will continue for the next thousand years exhibits the very
 arrogance of the anthropocentric, geocentric, jingoist thinking that gets
 human beings into trouble every time. >>

Your error in logic is in the false assumption that because technologies "DO"
disapear that then any and all technologies "MUST" disapear. Nothing could be
further from the truth. Many technologies have not only never dispeared they
have been only improved upon and expanded since their invention.

The only assumption that I am making is that the civilization in the far
future will be at least as technologically advanced as we are today.  If that
is true, then there is no question that they will be fully capable of
understanding and using the core IBM clong 386 core computer technology of
today.
dt fletcher