Re: Travelling to London

Hi Kevin,

We just got back from a trip to London, so have a few suggestions:

The British Library is in the process of moving from their old digs to a new
building about a mile away, near St. Pancras Station. They've moved the
rare books, music, and manuscripts; but the scientific stuff is still being
packed and moved. They'll only let you in the reader's rooms if you have
sufficient academic or artistic credentials, but the books and manuscripts
on public display are *breathtaking*, and worth the trip to London. It's also
a wonderful experience to sit in one of their cafes in view of the six story
tall glass-enclosed room which houses George III's library.

The British Museum is undergoing a major renovation, but is still worth a
visit. You might enjoy a couple of art supply stores close by the British
Museum,
both of which do mail-order business if you don't want to carry stuff back.
Falkiner's Fine Papers on Southampton Row, sells bookbinding equipment
and a fabulous range of papers. Corneilison's (on Great Russel St.) is a
wonderful old art supply store - you feel rather like you've walked into
an art store in a Dickens novel.

Any specific questions? Feel free to contact me off-line.

Bill Whitley