Re: "Digital Dark Age"

On 2/13/99 19:29 DT Fletcher said:

>In a message dated 2/13/99 6:52:01 AM Pacific Standard Time, dmc@MINN.NET
>writes:
>
><< But looking at current trends in software and
> backwards compatibility I don't think that computers of the future will be
> infinitely backwards compatible. >>
>
>There are certain to be new fancy computers with proprietary archictures such
>as the MAC, but the business world is different. The business world will
>never
>accept any computer now or in the future that will not run their current
>software. Therefore, Infinite backwards compatibility is absolutely
>assured in
>the world of business computers.
>dt fletcher
>
>come on folks. Its pretty much Q.E.D. on this point.

If infinite backwards capability were absolutely necessary in the world
of business computers everyone would still be running CP/M. Infinite
backwards compatibility does not now exist and never will; if you believe
it does try running Windows 98 on a PC/AT or MacOS 8.5 on a Mac 512.
Businesses will buy the machine that best meets their needs at the
minimum cost; when another operating system comes along that's better
than a Wintel machine at a significant cost savings Windows will
disappear. Maybe not immediately, but in  ten years it would be as dead
as CP/M, C64, Amiga, and Atari are today.

Paul Baechler
pbaechle@bellsouth.net