Re: "Digital Dark Age"

In a message dated 2/13/99 8:36:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, aldus@ANGREK.COM
writes:

<< ...something on a grander scale than the history of a air rifle, please.

 Dennis >>

Mighty proud of my little airgun history books Dennis.  Is it a big subject?
No, of course not. But, heaven help us if only the "grand" subjects are deemed
worthy of saving. Having spent much time and effort working to preserve the
knowledge I have been privilaged to obtain the only thing I might resent is
being told that this knowledge is not worth saving.

The reason for my dogged persuit of this issue, in the face of all odds, is
that if I am really wrong in my thinking about longterm preservation then I
want to know about it. Seriously! If there is a better way I want to know
about it.  If I am looking at the future with rose colored glassed then I want
to know precisely why this is.

Almost everything stated by you, Dennis, and others has been this standard
line of what appears, to me, to consist mostly a combination of prejudice,
hearsay and what on its face appears to be some really questionable logic.  I
could spend a lot of time pointing out these logic errors, but I'm not sure it
would do any good or be much appreciated at this stage.

In sum: To me - the very thought that in 100 years people will not be able to
load and read a jpg or tif file from a CD-ROM is unimaginable. Why? Because
today there is an installed base of over 100 million machines that can read a
CD-ROM.  Tommorow there will be millions more.  Folks - an installed base of
this size changes things. It wouldn't be one bit suprising if some companies a
hundred years from now will still be using Windows 3.1   Yet, you are certain
beyond a doubt that all of these 100's of millions of machines will have
vanished and that nobody will be able to read a jpg file from a CD-ROM.  Bit
astonishing really.

Reminds me of a time I went to a Vietnam war protest. It was a terrible humid
hot July day in Washington DC and there were warnings about police clubbings
tear gas etc. One friend  had on boots, jeans, heavy jacket, helmet, gloves.
Another friend wore only  thongs and shorts. When they met, both stared at
each other as if the other was completely insane.
dt fletcher