Re: "Digital Dark Age"

In a message dated 2/14/99 2:39:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, aldus@ANGREK.COM
writes:

<< I would be the last to denigrate any one's
 efforts at writing history (working with a collection of 60,000 8x10 glass
 plates and film negatives from the Mack Truck Company is not exactly
 Mainstream American Intellectual History, but it's part of a much, dare I
 say, "grander" fabric and therein lies its worth: >>

Mack Trucks?  Grander than airguns. Bigger certainly. But part of a grander
fabric? Hmmm.

I am not suggesting that any other type of preservation be dropped or replaced
by CD-ROM. What the CD-ROM brings to the longterm preservation game is the
ability to  distribute  large amounts of digital information cheaply and
widely. This is a backup strategy, not the main one.  With hundreds of
complete copies widely distributed around the world the chances of that
information surviving very longterm increases dramatically.

What happens if the United States is destroyed by a nuclear terrorist? If
there is only one complete set of your Mack truck stuff it's toast. There are
complete CD-ROMs of my little airgun research in New Zealand, Austrialia,
Philipines, England, Sweden, Germany, Holland.   Little airguns 7 - Mack
Trucks 0  You lose.

<<You really don't seem to get it.>>
Get what Dennis? What is your approved alternative media for longterm storage
and inexpensive distribution of digital information? Please enlighten us all.
If not CD-ROM what?

Note: I have been checking about the reliablity of CD-R's. The estimated life
of a CD-R (according to TDK) is greater than 100 years when stored at 77deg F
and 8% - 60% relative hum.  CD-R's use a gold reflective surface and have no
problems with oxidization. Does anyone have an article posing longterm
reliablity problems with CD-Rs?
dt fletcher