Re: Digital Books

At 04:13 PM 2/15/1999 EST, you wrote:
<Since we're on the subject of digital technologies, how do all of you feel
>about the uses of hypertext and purely digital books, ie created and
>viewable only in a digital media.>

It seems to me that purely digital books - books created for the internet,
for instance - are an art form that have somewhat more in common with
performance art than with books as one usually thinks of them. I would
think that artists who design them must have some expectation that they
will be "here today, gone tomorrow." In addition to the fact that the
software for viewing them, the internet itself, and the internet's audience
change so much so fast, there is also the problem of accessibility. Last
month we had an ice storm that caused our whole area to lose power for
several days - that closed off access to so many things for so many people.
 This doesn't make digital books less interesting; only quite different.
Shireen
Shireen Holman, Printmaker and Book Artist
email: tholman@clark.net
http://www.clark.net/pub/tholman/shireen/index.htm