Re: Digital Books (Was "Digital Dark Age")

I would like an elaboration on this. My first response was to fly off the
handle (classist!?!?!?, racisist!?!?!?) because this kind of attitude seems
to encourage the dumbing down of our educational system, the arts, and life
in general. There will always be the have and have nots. Some will work to
move up the food chain, others will go down. Sometimes it is fate, other
times not. I've said enough however and will let others take over.

p.

>My response to this is that, like computers themselves, they are inherently
>classist (and, by extension, often racist). Fine, if your intended audiance is
>small, highly educated and relatively rich; not so great if you desire to
>communicate with a large and diverse populace. Personally, what I have always
>loved about books is their portability and their (relative) democracy. Though
>it is true that even literacy is a class issue (see "Central Station" the new
>film from Brazil, if you question this assertion), it is less so than
>technologies that require even more investment of time and resources.

                                >>> I loved working in the library. <<<

Peter D. Verheyen
<Email>                               mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
<Webmaster>              http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey