Re: "Digital Dark Age"

In a message dated 2/14/99 10:44:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pbaechle@BELLSOUTH.NET writes:

<< If the United States were to be destroyed by nuclear terrorists, there
 would be sufficient dirt, dust, and radioactive material in the
 atmosphere to render any thought of preserving knowledge for future
 generations, in any format, completely irrelevant.

 Paul Baechler
 pbaechle@bellsouth.net >>

My little story is really an update of a true story about the library of
Alexandria. As you probably know, in 48 B.C. the library of Alexandria and
with it the most complete collection of ancient Greek and Near East literature
was lost in one great conflagration. It is a story that has always haunted me
more than any other of ancient world. It really hurts to think about all that
was forever lost. My initial reaction to the story was anger at the people who
started the fire (can't remember who got the blame, but it doesn't matter).
Then I realized that the real culprits were the librarians who didn't have a
proper distribution program. Just imagine if they had a scanner and CD-R at
the library of Alexandria. All the knowledge of the ancient world on one small
set of CDs  hundreds of copies cheaply made with absolute accuracy and
distributed around the world.  But., then you and it seems that just about
everyone else on this forum thinks that would be a really bad idea.  For the
life of me I am not sure why.
dt fletcher