Re: "Digital Dark Age"

On 2/15/99 22:41 DT Fletcher said:

>Any new business  (currently Windows) PC computer Operating System to succeed
>must be compatable with current Windows applications.

The limit of required compatibility would be the ability to import data
from current Windows applications. Few business application are still at
V 1.0, many upgrades limit import capability to the previous 1 or 2
versions.

>Example: There is a little windows program called cardfile. I have always
>liked it and have used it for probably 10 years now, since Windows version 2.
>I used it on a 3.1 machine, and then on my my Win95 machine. I still use this
>program on my WIN98 machine. It runs, or course, on a NT machine. I know with
>absolute confidence that it will run on any version of Windows that Microsoft
>ever produces. Simply put, if Microsoft ever puts out a Windows OS that
>doesn't allow me to run my old Windows applications I ain't buying it and
>nobody else is either.

It's nice that your program still runs after 4 system upgrades; some do,
some don't (on any operating system). It's also nice that you have the
option to not upgrade your OS; many business users, particularly service
businesses, have to upgrade. You can refuse to upgrade if you wish; most
people will upgrade if the upgrade offers significant advantages even if
it means that some of their current applications will not run under the
new system and will expect the software companies to provide compatible
software.
.
>ps-  That Intel is "abandoning" the 386 archicture because of MERCED is just
>plain silly and not worthy of any commentary.

Technically, Intel "abandoned" the 386 when it discontinued that chipset
in favor of the 486, the Pentium, and the Pentium2.

The horse is long dead, but if we beat it a few more times, there won't
be enough left to require burial.

Paul Baechler
pbaechle@bellsouth.net