adhesives for paper to wood

Basically, there is nothing archival about sticking paper to unsealed wood
surfaces, and it doesn't matter what kind of adhesive you use. Unsealed wood
off-gases over time and accelerates the deterioration of the paper. Even if the
puzzle maker were to seal the wooden surface and allow that to off-gas before
adhering the paper and cutting the puzzle, the freshly cut edges of the puzzle
would do the same thing.

That said, I have some paper covered children's building blocks that were my
grandmother's (b. 1892) that have subsequently been used by my mother and aunt
and my brother and sister and I and my two daughters, that are pretty worn but
the paper is still firmly attached with what looks like plain old starch paste.