Re: "Digital Dark Age"

Having read the below-mentioned press release thoroughly, This does not
pove your point so strongly as you would wish us to believe. Iam taking the
extreme liberty of quoting the release in its entirety; all additional
emphases (|||...|||) are mine:

******
BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA SELECTS TDK CD-R FOR MAJOR ARCHIVAL MUSIC
PRESERVATION PROJECT

TDK Electronics Corp. and the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) have
announced a partnership dedicated to the preservation of the BSO's archive
of historic recordings, some of which date back to 1917. In this important
project, each of the more than 10,000 recordings in the archive will be
analyzed, with the most endangered being transferred to TDK Certified Plus
CD-R for long-term preservation.

The initial phase of the TDK/BSO Music Preservation Project will focus on
archiving approximately 100 reels (50 programs) of BSO recordings which are
in immediate danger due to "sticky shed syndrome," a form of tape
degradation caused by hydrolysis of the recording layer. ||||The archival
process will begin by stabilizing the original tapes, then transferring
them directly to TDK Certified Plus CD-R discs. ||||

       "In our search for the optimum method to preserve our historic
recordings, we carefully researched all possible technologies," said BSO
Managing Director, Mark Volpe. "After careful consideration and a
significant research effort, we came to the conclusion that the unique
archival stability and overall accuracy of TDK Certified Plus CD-R media
makes it the ideal choice for our preservation project."

       "The preservation of historic music recordings is an area where art
and technology truly come together," noted Koyo Yokoi, TDK Executive Vice
President, Sales and Marketing. "In this important collaboration, we will
make sure that the Boston Symphony Orchestra receives the very best of
today's technology, as well as the benefits of our research in |||||future
recording technologies such asDVD."||||

The TDK/BSO Music Preservation Project signals the expansion of a ten-year
relationship between TDK and the BSO, which began in 1989 with the creation
of the TDK Free Lawn Passes For Children program at Tanglewood in Lenox,
Massachusetts. By enabling children under 12 to attend concerts at
Tanglewood free of charge, this special program has helped tens of
thousands of families to experience some of the world's best classical
music.
***********

You see, they aen't simply going to put them on CD; this is part of an
ongoing migration to OTHER FUTURE formats. CD si fine for the "short" now
but not the "long" now and THAT was the point that Brand and Hillis were
trying to make in their columns and in the quote about the difficulty of
"Digital preservation."  But, then, you probably STILLhaven't read them,
based on your on-going comments...

Dennis

>Appears I am not completely alone in my views.  dt fletcher
>
>BOSTON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA SELECTS TDK CD-R FOR MAJOR ARCHIVAL MUSIC
>PRESERVATION PROJECT
>In our search for the optimum method to preserve our historic recordings, =
>we
>carefully researched all possible technologies,=94 said BSO Managing Direc=
>tor,
>Mark Volpe. =93After careful consideration and a significant research effo=
>rt, we
>came to the conclusion that the unique archival stability and overall accu=
>racy
>of TDK Certified Plus CD-R media makes it the ideal choice for our
>preservation project.=94
>
>for the complete press release see
>http://www.dba-pr.com/tdk/bso.html

mailto:aldus@angrek.com
"That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time"
--John Stuart Mill (1806-73)