Two-needle Coptic Sewing

This may simply be a matter of practice, but...

I'm working on a two-needle Coptic sewn binding, which has 11 gatherings of
8 pages and 1 gathering of 4 pages.  The "short" gathering is the last
gathering of the text block.

I'm repeatedly running into a problem on the 4 pg gathering of drawing the
thread through the fold and tearing it.  For my test book, I've repaired the
damage by pasting in a small piece of paper across the tear, running the
grain crosswise of the pages.

I suspect that part of the problem is that my hands get used to working with
the 8 pg gatherings, which can take more stress.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep myself from tearing that last
gathering?

Lyle H. Gray
lyle @ quodata . com                            inceptum perage