Re: Two-needle Coptic Sewing

>I was taught to consider a coptic binding one that has an even number of
>sewing stations and a separate needle for each station. How does the two
>needle sewing work? Was it used by the Copts in Egypt and Ethiopia, or is
it
>a contemporary modification?

This is a special case book, dated to the 8th-9th centuries, that has an
even number of sewing stations but only one needle for each pair.  The
needle goes in one station, out at the paired station, kettle stitch, back
in the paired station of the _same gathering_, out the first station, kettle
stitch, and then up to the next gathering.

Lyle
lyle @ quodata . com                            inceptum perage