Re: "Digital Dark Age" -Reply

In a message dated 2/17/99 1:53:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
handel@SI.UMICH.EDU writes:

<< In some special cases, the format choices are pretty clear:
 TIFF for images, PDF for complex artwork, and SGML for some text. But
 other information it's much less clear (statistical datasets, GIS
 information, CAD, etc.) And when all of these are combined, then what? >>

If we can get our descendants to the file level they will figure out the file
formats.  Just ask the Germans about their "completely unbreakable" ENIGMA
code (file format).  Even when the user doesn't want anyone to understand the
message contained within it is very hard to stop someone who is determined to
read it.
dt fletcher