Re: "Digital Dark Age" -Reply

I now declare this thread over. It was interesting while it lasted, but...
Come on folks. This is a book arts list not alt.comp.deadtech or something.
We've beaten this horse to death. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
Next step, setting the list to "review" and checking all postings before
they go out.

Thank you to all who kept it on track with other related threads.

p.

At 05:29 AM 2/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/17/99 1:53:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>handel@SI.UMICH.EDU writes:
>
><< In some special cases, the format choices are pretty clear:
> TIFF for images, PDF for complex artwork, and SGML for some text. But
> other information it's much less clear (statistical datasets, GIS
> information, CAD, etc.) And when all of these are combined, then what? >>
>
>If we can get our descendants to the file level they will figure out the file
>formats.  Just ask the Germans about their "completely unbreakable" ENIGMA
>code (file format).  Even when the user doesn't want anyone to understand the
>message contained within it is very hard to stop someone who is determined to
>read it.
>dt fletcher

                                >>> I loved working in the library. <<<

Peter D. Verheyen