Re: NPR's info on U. of Pa.undergrad lib.,Digital Dark

I must have had a vastly different graduate school and undergraduate
experience. No "undergrad" libraries is my experience at all. Certainly large
universities have specialized libraries in many cases, but the undergrads
aren't sent off to some lesser class of a library. And as a writer and English
professor, I think open stacks are the backbone of a wide-ranging intellectual
life. You go in search of certain things, you find much more when you look at
the books. I, for one, would hate a system that restricted me in anyway from
seeing all the books. Doesn't mean online inof isn't very helpfull/necessary.
Just no good reason to keep people away from books.
Laurie O'Brien