Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 22 Feb 1999 to 23 Feb 1999

C.J.

        There is a new publication called Kids Making Books: An Idea Exchange
for Educators. The first issue combines how-to, teaching tips, Why Make
Books? by ed Hutchins, and an article about a bookmaking program for
at-risk kids at the Charles A. Wustum Museum of Fine ARts in Racine, WI.
I contributed an article on Teaching Large Groups. It will come out
twice a year and is $12.00 for 2 issues. Their address is
Kids Making Books
PO Box 460009
San Francisco, CA 99416-0009
        The Center for Book Arts in NYC runs a summer program for high school
students. I think they may have written about it in one of their
newsletters but I don't know when. It would have been a few years ago.
The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild published a posting I
made to the Book ARts List several years ago called Bookmaking and Kids
in their Autum 1996 newsletter, vol. 14, no.3. And I 'll put in a plug
for my book, Multicultural Books to Make and Share, Scholastic
Professional Books, 1994, for elementary and middle school teachers.
I've also started a publishing company, Seastreet Press, which is
publishing booklets on making books for teachers.
        An excellent book is Literacy through the Book Arts by Paul Johnson.
Portsmouth, NH, Heinemann, 1993. He's also written at least one other
book that they have published. A lot of the examples shown were by
elementary school kids but it would work for middle and into high
school.
        Hope this helps.

in good spirit,
Susan