collage and copyrights

Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience regarding creating collages
and use of other collected and "found materials" in one's own artwork as it
relates to copyright and "plagiarism" issues.  Is there anything written
about how much of an artwork can be taken from other sources (collage
images, text, etc.) and still be called one's own creation?

I have students involved in bookmaking and incorporating images from other
books, magazines, newspapers, etc.  I'd like to have information to give
them about the legal issues of using images that are not their own.

I would appreciate any leads or information that you may be able to share
with me.

Susan Patt, Chair                       Director
Art Department                          Brandstater Gallery
La Sierra University                    http://www.lasierra.edu/art
909-785-2171