Re: Books about Teaching Book Arts

S Rotolo wrote on 25 February:
     >Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:47:51 -0500
     >From: SR <suzart6@earthlink.net>
  >Subject: Re: Books about Teaching Book Arts
       >To: BOOK_ARTS-L@listserv.syr.edu
  >Ed Hutchins has a very good mail order catalog for books about
  >the book arts, including teaching: bookcentral@artistbooks.com
  >S.Rotolo

I've just returned from the excellent fifth conference of the Council of
Book Arts Programs, held at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Thursday
- Sunday, February 25th-28th.

During the show-and-tell session on Friday afternoon, Ed Hutchins had a
table in which he laid out some of the books he distributes. It wasn't just
a table of books: Hutchins presented a thoughtfully-assembled collection of
the best books available on their subjects.
        You could, of course, simply check the Book Central lists for the titles
of the books listed and then order them from a discount retailer like
Amazon.com or the equivalent, in some (though by no means all) cases at
cheaper prices.
        But Hutchins's operation is very much worth supporting. Here is what he
has to say about the books he sells: "One of the best and most affordable
ways to learn is from well-written and clearly illustrated instructional
manuals. A good how-to book is like a patient, resident instructor: it is
just an arm's reach away and always available to solve a technical problem
or to help learn a new technique. The probloem has been in finding the best
books to purchase. At Book Central we have searched out and tracked down
the best instructional manuals. Most are from small publishers and all are
written by professionals in the book arts. From traditional bookbinding to
contemporary book structures, papermaking, gocco printing, rubber stamping,
pop-ups and creating books with children, here is your single source for
information on how to design and create your own books."

Book Central's address is PO Box 895, Cairo, NY 12413; the URL is:
<bookcentral@artistbooks.com>

In his own right, Hutchins is one of the most interesting bookmakers around
(watch for Anne Anninger's upcoming show on his work at Harvard, and check
out Editions on his Web page). His opinions are very much worth knowing
about (like having a patient, resident instructor, in fact!), and he
eminently deserves the support of all those interested in book arts
instruction and related areas.

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu