Job in Guatemala

For your information:

My February workshop in Guatemala visited Libros San Cristobal, the fine press
and bindery of Christopher Beisel, in Sacatepequez, Guatemala. I promised
Christopher I would pass on the following request.

He is looking for a person experienced in gold stamping, tooling, leather
finishing and gold leaf work to work and teach in his shop in Guatemala. Room
and board are provided (not sure if there is also other compensation). You
need not speak Spanish, but you must be willing to work with and teach the
people he is training in his shop. These are indigenous Mayan, literate but
with very limited prospects in their country. Christopher is hoping to enable
these people so that they can look forward to a future doing something besides
spraying chemicals on bananas.

Christopher's shop is in rural Guatemala, about 30 minutes from Antigua. Both
house and bindery have been designed by him. His partner, Grove, is an avid
gardener and the grounds on their surrounding property have been lovingly
reclaimed from near total devastation. It is hard to describe the beauty of it
if you have never seen Guatemala, but, even though Antigua is quite close,
their property is pleasantly removed. Antigua itself is a lovely old city, the
original Colonial capitol under the Spanish. It hosts a continual flow of
international visitors, both for the climate and for the Spanish language
schools. The restaurants are excellent and varied (as my additional five
pounds can attest!) My workshop just past was the second time I have been down
there and I can say that I look forward to going back again next February.

If the prospect of living rent free and doing meaningful work appeals, contact
Christopher Beisel at P.O. Box 669004 A 198, Miami Springs, FL 33266. Though
he says the cell phone rarely works, here is the number in Guatemala:
011-502-208-2416. The Miami Springs address is a secure address.

Thanks, Barbara Harman