Binding Structure

Dear Book Folks,

I have a rather complicated bookbinding/conservation task that I am hopin=
some
of the clever minds on this list might help me with.

I have been requested to come up with a new binding structure for an old
book which
will allow for the folios, which have original drawings tipped onto them,=

to lay =

perfectly flat and also that the binding my be disassembled and
reassembled.
The reason is that the client is hoping to eventually make a facsimile of=

this book and would like to, in the meantime, be able to show it as a boo=
k,
meaning
turnable pages that are some how bound, not loose folios in a box, and th=
en
later
be able to disassemble the entire thing in order to make photolithos etc.=

etc.

In the original binding from about 1850 the signatures have been made out=

of
two folios hinged together sometimes, sometimes with a folio folded insid=
two =

folios hinged together, sometimes loose pages tipped onto the hinge befor=
two folios
hinged together, in other words it is very inconsistant.  My idea until n=
ow
was to rehinge the enitire thing (which will have to be done regardless o=
the binding I use) with a wider hinge and elaborate a type of piano hinge=

system, which will both open flat and can be dis and reassembled.  The
problem
however are the few folios that form the center fold of a hinged signatur=
e.
Am I expressing myself clearly here?  A six page signature, first two pag=
es
are a folio glued to a hinge, the second two pages a loose folio and then=

the
last two pages another folio glued to the other side of the hinge.  =

I suppose that I could cut the loose folio in half and add a hinge to it =
the size I need, though it seems rather aggresive to me.  =

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives or see things that I am=

not seeing?  Any considerations would be much appreciated.

Pamela  =

 =