removing a bookplate

I need some expert advice here. I am rebinding a book for a client. It has
a presentation bookplate pasted down inside the front cover. The bookplate
was installed, and inscribed with a fountain pen around 1888. I need to
safely remove the bookplate. How can I do it?

I am apprehensive about just soaking the cover, because I am afraid that
the fountain pen ink might bleed. What about steaming it? I could cut a
wide margin around it and try to dig deep under the plate with a lifting
knife, but this doesn't seem ideal.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Associate Professor                     email: hales@bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy                phone: (570) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                   fax: (570) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815

http://www.bloomu.edu/departments/philosophy/pages/haleshome.html