removing bookplates

Thanks to all who responded both privately and to the list. I managed to
get the label off without difficulty (just lucky, I think!). I cut a
half-inch wide border around the bookplate with a razor and a straightedge.
Then I worked under the plate with a microspatula, careful to also take up
the endpaper to which the label was glued, along with board fibers. I
noticed once it was up that the label glue seemed friable, so I gently
rolled/bent the label a small amount. This loosened the glue even more.
Then I was able to get the label off cleanly with the microspatula. I
didn't need to wet anything.

But I'll be sure to save all your tips and suggestions for next time!

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Associate Professor                     email: hales@bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy                phone: (570) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                   fax: (570) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815

http://www.bloomu.edu/departments/philosophy/pages/haleshome.html