M E M O R A N D U M

To: Friends of Jack Kerouac

From: Paul Marion

Subj: Jack Kerouac Day in Massachusetts

Date of
Memo: March 10, 1999

     The Joint Committee of the Massachusetts state legislature will
hold a hearing at 10 a.m. on March 31, 1999, in Room A-2 of the State
House to consider designating March 12 as an annual observance of Jack
Kerouac Day in Massachusetts.

     Following is the language of the bill being considered:

     An Act Relative to the Annual Observance of Jack Kerouac Day,
Senate Bill 1450

     Chapter 6 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after
. . . section 15 CCCC the following new section:

     Section 15 DDDD. The Governor shall annually issue a proclamation
setting apart March 12th as Jack Kerouac Day in recognition of Jack
Kerouac's contributions to American Literature and the genre of
spontaneous prose, for his contributions to his French-Canadian
heritage, and for his love of his hometown of Lowell, and recommending
that said day be observed in an appropriate manner by the people.

     Letters of support should be sent to Sen. Dianne Wilkerson, Senate
Chair, Committee on State Administration, State House, Room 312C and
Rep. Geoffrey Hall, House Chair, Committee on State Administration,
State House, Room 34, Boston, MA 02133. Letters must reference the title
and number of the bill (see above). The public hearing is open to
persons who wish to testify in support of the bill.

     If you have any questions about this issue, please call me at
978-454-4883 (home) or 978-934-3107 (work) or send e-mail to
MarionPF@aol.com