Where are the old books?

I'm doing some preliminary research for a novel and have a question.  Where
are the "best" collections of old and rare books?  I'd also like to know why
you think those collections are the best.

I'm intentionally using a vague term (best) and not explaining it because I
think that will elicit a broad range of opinions and responses from this
particular list.  If you like a collection because it is the biggest, has
more ivory covered bindings, looks coolest, whatever, is fine as long as it
has old and rare books and you tell me why you like it so much, even if it
is only by reputation.

Thanks

                    Malcolm T. Upton
 8901 Normandale #1004  Ft. Worth, TX 76116
        817/560-2316  malcolm@uptons.net
                   http://www.uptons.net/
Am I getting smart with you? ....How would you know?