Re: Chicago shows

And let's not forget the "A Book Is Not A Book Is Not A Book." - show at
the Betty Rymer Gallery, an exhibition featuring around one hundred items
from the Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection as well as some work made by
faculty and students of the School.
EACH ITEM IS AVAILABLE FOR HANDLING - NO GLOVES, NO GLASS.
The show opens Friday, April 16th and runs through June 2nd. Gallery hours
are Monday-Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Thursday 10:00 am - 8:00 pm. The
address is 280 South Columbus Drive (Columbus and Jackson).
For info regarding the gallery (group visits, etc.) call Claire Broadfoot
at 312-443-3703. For info regarding the artists' book collection call Doro
Boehme at 312-899-5098.
(There will be a brochure for the show).

At 12:02 AM 3/22/99 EST, you wrote:
>If you're planning to come to Chicago between now & mid-April/early May th=
>ere
>are several book-related exhibits not to be missed. At the Columbia Colleg=
>Chicago Center for Book & Paper Arts  (218 S. Wabash, 10am-5pm M-F, 1-4 Sa=
>t)
>is the extremely witty & controversial show, "Beautifully Banal: The Last
>Calligraphy Show." Curated by Tom Greensfelder, it includes work from two
>dozen international calligraphers (including myself) with such dandy piece=
>s as
>Thomas Ingmire's gilded initial & ink text on a roll of toilet paper
>(Artissue), Pamela Paulsrud's embroidered corset (The shape of your future=
>),
>and other thought-provoking pieces. Probably the most unusual entry is a
>series of replies about the concept of the show to Brody Neuenschwander
>(calligrapher for Peter Greenaway's The Pillow Book & Prospero's Books) wh=
>opposed the whole idea of the show, from scribes like Donald Jackson (who =
>is
>doing the first ms bible in 500 years), Denis Brown, John Benson, Susan
>Skarsgard, a.o.
>
>The GBW ABeCedarium is up at the Newberry Library (60 W. Walton) but Paul
>Gehl's complimentary exhibit of some of the ABC books from the Newberry's
>collections is a rare chance to see some of the most important alphabet bo=
>oks
>in the world, and that ain't hyperbole. There is a manuscript of a
>geometrically constructed alphabet, Italian, ca. 1460, one of perhaps seve=
>pre-1500 such manuscripts in the world=97the Newberry has three of them. T=
>here
>are 3 copies displayed of Giuseppe Mitelli's rare & haunting drawing/alpha=
>bet
>book, Alfabeto in Sogno (Bologna, 1683), as well as the usual children's A=
>BCs
>from the 17th-20th centuries including Kate Greenway's well-known A is for
>Apple Pie. But as Gehl points out in his labels for the show, ABC books ha=
>ve
>always been used as a teaching tool, even for adults, and I found the
>Abolitionist's ABC (Boston, 1856) both amazing and touching=97it begins "A=
> is
>for African, torn from his country," and Bertrand Russell's The Good Citiz=
>en's
>Alphabet (Gabberbocius Press, 1953) amusing in a way I don't usually assoc=
>iate
>with Russell's writings.
>
>Beautifully Banal runs till May 7, The Newberry shows until April 17. The
>Newberry Galleries are open Mon, Fri, & Sat. from 8:15 am-5:30 pm, Tues.,
>Wed., & Thurs., 8:15 am-7:30 pm.
>R. Williams

====

AnneDorothee Boehme, curator/librarian
Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 S Wabash Av
Chicago, Il 60603

312-899-5098 ( voice )
312-899-1465 ( fax )