Book Arts is Alive and Well in Pittsburgh!!

Just catching up with this thread but let me assure you
that the book arts are alive and well in Pittsburgh!  We are
just forming a Pittsburgh Book Arts Collective.  Our
second meeting was just held yesterday in Oakland.

There are various book arts classes scattered around the
city:  Pittsburgh Center for the Arts (which is more than
50 years old and still going strong) has book arts classes,
in fact a weekend workshop is coming up on April 10th and
11th.  The Carnegie Museum has ongoing book arts classes.
Stamp Fanci and Folio Papers have periodic workshops.

A group of us brought several well-known book artists to
Pittsburgh for workshops last year including Janet Maher,
Mimi Schaer and Emily Martin.

Last year Gallerie Chiz had a book arts show with many
national, regional and local book artists.  Currently, the Society
for Contemporary Crafts in the Strip District has a show,
"The Art of the Book" featuring national book artists in its main
gallery space and "Bound to Please" in its satellite gallery in
One Mellon Bank Center.  The Society has also had a book arts
class.

Kitty Spangler, a local book artist, was recently interviewed for
the Tribune Review and has some books in the national show at
the Society.  There was also a write-up recently (last week) in
the Pittsburgh Press.

But I do go on . . . if you are interested in the book arts and are
living in the Pittsburgh area please contact one of the following:

Kim Nickens             email:nickinpa@sgi.net
Kitty Spangler          email:kspangler@earthlink.net
Barbara Goldman email:bbroffgold@aol.com

We'd be happy to add you to the mailing list, send you our
resource list (a work in progress) or answer any other questions!

Take care,

Kim Nickens