Sorry, viruswarning (again...)

Hello

It's VIRUS-time again.... Sorry to bother but I think this is pretty serious.
I've checked the links mentioned furtheron in this message and they seem
to be valid and serious. The message below comes from a
internetseviceprovider in the Netherlands and was forwarded to me by a
friend.
If you're not interested: just delete it. If you are: read carefully; this is a
nasty one (not like the happy99.exe we had a few weeks ago)...

> [...]
>Definition Files" are being used. These can be found on the websites of
>virus scanner manufacturers. A number of important virus scanners is
capable
>of detecting and incapacitating the Melissa Macro Virus. For more
>information, please see the webpages of the manufacturer of your virus
>scanner.
>
>Because this virus uses address books to spread itself, it is even
>possible that the virus will be sent to you by someone you think you can
>trust implicitely. The person in question will not have sent you the
>virus on purpose, but will have been infected with the virus on his or
>her system. Therefore, check attachments in e-mail for virusses, even if
>they come from a trusted source, before you open them. If you locate a
>virus, simply throw the e-mail away. As long as you haven't opened the
>attachment, there is no reason to panic, the virus will not be activated.
>Don't forget to contact the sender of the infected message. His or her
>computer has been infected with the virus. Alert this person to that
>fact, so the virus can be removed from the computer by a virus scanner.
>
>Finally, it is also important you disable macro's in Microsoft Word. This
>virus wil not work if you disable macro's.
>
>http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-04-Melissa-Macro-Virus.html
>http://www.webwereld.nl (Dutch)
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2233166,00.html
>
>The way the virus works is as follows: It spreads by way of e-mail
messages.
>These messages contain a Word document, which contains a macro-virus.
>This macro-virus seeks out the first 50 addresses in the address book of
>the infected computer and sends an e-mail to all these addresses,
>including a random Word document from the infected system, adding the
>macro-virus itself.
>
>In itself, this is not a new phenomenon. Similar virusses have existed
>for a long time, and this virus does not damage your system as far as we
>know,
>although the random circulation of your Word documents can be a serious
>violation of your privacy and/or your company confidentiality. The impact
>of the Melissa Macro Virus is, however, a lot bigger than other,
>comparable virusses. Because Melissa uses address books to spread
itself,
>the infected messages sent by the virus are undeservedly considered
>"trusted". The receiver of an infected message is under the impression
>that he has received an e-mail from someone that he has previously
>exchanged e-mail with. In such case, many people don't comply with the
>general rules of safe usage of the Internet and open the Word document,
>without performing the necessary virus checks first.
>
>The fact that this virus spreads itself 50 times when activated, also
>makes this a dangerous virus. Since discovery last Friday, the virus has
in
>an amazing tempo and the consequences when American offices will open
>today are greatly feared. Because the virus spreads 50-fold through
>e-mail, it poses a threat to the functioning of e-mail servers. This risk
>is enhanced when the address book of an infected computer contains one
or
>more adresses of mailinglists. In that case the infected e-mail will be
>spread a multiple of 50 times. There is a risk that e-mail servers
>worldwide will become overloaded.
>
>Through this message we have attempted to inform you about this virus as
>accurately and completely as possible. Demon Internet will not accept any
>responsibility for possible results of inaccuracy and/or incompleteness
>of the given information.
>

>Stanley Westerveld
>Support Engineer
>Demon Internet

Cor Knops.

___________________________
Knops Boekrestauratie
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
phone 00 31 46 4200024
fax   00 31 46 4110180
e-mail    knops@xs4all.nl
URL       http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/knops.htm
Also have a look at our Book Information Website:
          http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/index3.htm and on
          http://www.tonkoopman.nl