Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 31 Mar 1999 to 1 Apr 1999

In a message dated 4/2/99 12:05:43 AM, "Malcolm T. Upton"
<malcolm@UPTONS.NET> writes:

>Your book looks real nice and I was wondering.  Is that a medallian attached
>to the front cover.  If it is some sort of metallic construct, how did
>you
>make it and attach it?

The cover is constructed of carved leather calfskin. There are no medallions
attached to it. Perhaps the flash from my camera made it appear different
from what it actually is.

As far as attaching metal to book covers, my research indicates that
attachments were made by riveting through both the attachment and the boards
of the book cover.
Keep in mind that most of my research has been limited to pre 1600 binding
with wood book boards.

Aengus