Re: Archival

Archival simply means that the materials involved can be
used for very long term storage of the artifacts without
causing additional deterioration of the artifact beyond what
is already inherent.  Mylar dust jacket covers, paper money
holders, document display covers, all with no PVC content,
acid free envelopes for coins, acid free wax for
preservation, acid free labels, etc. etc. Some of these
materials are a compromise and cause minimal deterioration.
Some materials, like wood,  can result in slight toning of
silver or copper based artifacts or coins [not always
undesirable]

You can order our email catalogue of supplies to purchase
many of these archival supply items.

Available from:

Art Rubino & Co.
Antiquarian Book Sellers
Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
P.O. Box 9712
Santa Fe, NM 87504  USA
Phone  505 982 8792
Fax      505 982 0291
Email  Art_Rubino@msn.com

We are always interested in buying fine used
Numismatic,  Philatelic & Collectibles books.

In the United Kingdom
Art Rubino & Co.
Antiquarian Booksellers
233 Wandsworth Bridge Road
London SW6 2TU
Phone  44 171 731 2919
Fax       44 171 610 6930
Mobile  44 468 301 890

Catalogues Available By Email
Sent in Win 95/Word 6.0 Format unless you specify.
Numismatic Books  Pt I  Ancient, Byz. & Medievel. 80 pp.
Numismatic Books Pt II  Modern Era [post 1400] 60 pp.
Numismatic Sales Catalogues & Fixed Price Lists
Treasure [Numismatic] Books. Cobs, diving for treasure.
Philatelic Books
Ancient & Modern History, Bank History, Military History
Archaeology Books
Collectibles Books. Porcelain, antiques, rare artifacts.
Modern First Editions & Literature  [under construction]
Magic & Divination, Handwriting, Palm Reading, Dreams
Conservation Supplies for Collectors

>I'm certain I will get some disagreement with my reply,
>and there are some disclaimers, but, generally 'archival'
is
>acid free and easily reversible without using something
that might
>further damage the item.
>
>Jane Brown
>brownjm@musc.edu
>
>--On ThuTu, Apr4822199997 1:37 AM -0400 "Olivia Hibel"
><olivia@GHPLUS.INFI.NET> wrote:
>
>> Would you tell a newcomer what "archival" does mean in
this context?