Re: Amazon/B&N vs Independent Bookstores

I am a firm advocate of independent book stores and have spent many happy
hours cruising their stacks and purchasing books from them.

I am also a publisher.  And an author.

Barnes & Noble offers my book, _Manuscript Inks_ at twice the normal
retail cost.  According to what I can determine from their data they
purchase a copy of my book from a dealer in Delaware who purchased
multiple copies from me at a discount.

I also sell titles to Amazon.com.  Not *through* Amazon.com.  They pay
full retail price bacause there is no discount for individual titles, sold
one-each.

University Products no longer carries my videotapes about book conservation
techniques (they did not sell enough copies/title to pay for the color
printing of the page in their catalog), but when they did offer those
titles they
received them from me at a 40% discount; they then offered them in their
catalog at approx. 3X my retail charge.

Institutions prefer to pay University Products a very high multiple of the
actual cost of a product (book/videotape/Mylar/etc.) just for the privilege
of not having to fill out another piece of paperwork.

Just a thought.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942  (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

Bacteria is the only culture some people have.
        Anon.