Re: Amazon/B&N vs Independent Bookstores

Amazon.com & B&N.com right now are terrific good deals
for the buyer of new books, and an unmitigated disaster for
the book trade. The reason for this is that Amazon.com
lose money on every book that they sell.
This is not conjecture. It is a fact.
Amazon's financials are a matter of public record.
Amazon has lost many many millions of dollars in a drive to
corner market share, driving small retail new book stores
out of business while operating their "business" at a large
loss. In fact, Amazon has never made a penny in it's whole
existence. They operate from the proceeds of  public
offerings, their stock is hyped out of sight, and in my view
the whole thing is a colossal E-commerce scam.

Another thing that I believe is happening is that publishers
are raising their list prices on new books to accommodate
the
fact that there is a big discount given on every sale by
these
people. The ultimate price is paid for by the book buyer.

Think it through please. Is this what you really want? No
competition?

Instead of visiting your local private bookseller and
looking at the books on display to determine what
you will order from Amazon,
while taking advantage of his expensive retail presence,
tell the owner that you will buy the book from him/her if
they can offer the same discount as Amazon plus postage
cost.

Betcha you will get the same deal or better.

Art

Art Rubino & Co.
Antiquarian Book Sellers
Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
P.O. Box 9712
Santa Fe, NM 87504  USA
Phone  505 982 8792
Fax      505 982 0291
Email  Art_Rubino@msn.com

We are always interested in buying fine used
Numismatic,  Philatelic & Collectibles books.

In the United Kingdom
Art Rubino & Co.
Antiquarian Booksellers
233 Wandsworth Bridge Road
London SW6 2TU
Phone  44 171 731 2919
Fax       44 171 610 6930
Mobile  44 468 301 890

Catalogues Available By Email
Sent in Win 95/Word 6.0 Format unless you specify.
Numismatic Books  Pt I  Ancient, Byz. & Medievel. 80 pp.
Numismatic Books Pt II  Modern Era [post 1400] 60 pp.
Numismatic Sales Catalogues & Fixed Price Lists
Treasure [Numismatic] Books. Cobs, diving for treasure.
Philatelic Books
Ancient & Modern History, Bank History, Military History
Archaeology Books
Collectibles Books. Porcelain, antiques, rare artifacts.
Modern First Editions & Literature  [under construction]
Magic & Divination, Handwriting, Palm Reading, Dreams
Conservation Supplies for Collectors